Potato Soup yields 8+ servings
- 6 slices lean bacon
- 1 small sweet yellow onion, diced
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Dash (or two) Cayenne pepper
- Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
- 6 large russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup of half and half or heavy cream (optional)
- Fresh parsley, chopped
- Pepper Jack or extra sharp cheddar, grated
- Bacon bits
- Heat a very large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook until crispy on both sides. Remove from the Dutch oven and place on a paper towel then cut into bits; set aside. Remove all but 1 teaspoon of bacon grease from the Dutch oven.
- Add the onion, carrot, and celery; cook, stirring often, for a couple of minutes. Add the minced garlic cayenne pepper, sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste then cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Add the diced potato and chicken broth. Cover with a lid and simmer for 30 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Add the milk then partially blend the soup with an immersion blender. Taste and re-season. Add the parsley and stir.
- Ladle into bowls then top with shredded cheese and bacon bits. Enjoy.
Side Note: If you would like your soup to be a little more decadent and creamy, add 1/2 cup of half and half or heavy cream.