- Good splash olive oil
- 1 large onion diced
- 4 – 5 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 tsp paprika
- zest of 1/2 a lemon
- 3 – 4 medium-sized potatoes (I used toolangi delights, purple and beautiful)
- About 1.2 kg zucchini
- 1 good tsp good quality vegetable stock
- couple of sprigs thyme plus more for garnish
- 4 free range organic bacon rashers
- Juice of half a lemon
- In a large saucepan saute the onions and garlic until soft. Add the paprika and lemon zest and stir until fragrant. Add the potatoes, zucchini, stock, salt and pepper. Add enough water to just cover the vegetables.
- Simmer until the vegetables are nice and soft. Add the thyme, simmer for a tiny bit longer and then blend with a potato masher. If you have a blender feel free to use that, I don’t have one so i work by hand but I also like the no machine approach of the potato masher because I’m a bit quaint like that.
- Slice up the bacon and fry in a pan until browned. Add to the soup along with the fresh lemon juice.
- Serve in nice deep bowls and top with a bit more lemon rind and fresh thyme.
- Serves 4 big bowls with a bit left over for lunch the next day. Because soup is always better the next day!