- 4 slices of thick-cut bacon
- 1 medium onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- cut kernels from 4 ears of corn (about 2 cups)
- 3 cups halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon to a plate and set aside.
- Turn heat down to medium-low and add onions to the bacon drippings in the skillet. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion has softened – about 5 minutes.
- Add corn, turn heat back up to medium, and cook, stirring occasionally, until corn is tender and just starting to brown in spots – about 7 – 10 minutes.
- Remove corn and onion mixture to a large mixing bowl and let cool for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut the bacon crosswise into thin slices. Add the sliced tomatoes, bacon, basil, and vinegar to the bowl with the corn. Sprinkle in a big pinch of salt and some fresh ground black pepper.
- Toss everything together, let sit for a few minutes, then toss again and taste.
- Add more salt and/or pepper if needed.
- Serve immediately at room temperature.