- One package of tater tots
- A block of your favorite cheese. (I used sharp cheddar for this particular recipe. Pepper Jack would be delicious for a little kick.)
- One pound of bacon
- Let the tater tots thaw for a little while. You don’t want them to be as hard as an ice cube, but you don’t want them too soft either. You’re going to be cutting the tots halfway down so you don’t want the potato crumbling all over the place.
- While you’re letting the tater tots thaw, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut the cheese into little squares or rectangles that will fit inside the tater tots. (Think of it as a tater tot sandwich with a wee-little cheese middle.) Wrap the bacon around the cheese filled tot so that a little of the bacon overlaps each other. Cut the remaining slice of bacon off. (Instead of pre-cutting the strips of bacon, this will ensure that your strips will wrap around the whole tater tot, nicely.
- Place a toothpick through to hold the bacon-tot in place. (If you have any leftover ends that don’t completely fit around a tater tot, cook them! You don’t want to waste any bacon!)
- Use a baking pan, parchment paper, or line a pan with tin foil. However, if you use tin foil or metal pan, you are going to want to grease the pan so the cheese doesn’t stick to the foil.
- Place your bacon wrapped tots on your pan, allowing a little room in between each. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until the bacon is crisp. When it’s done, take them out and make sure you let them cool! Yes, they will smell delicious, but they will be piping hot. They will burn your tongue if you pop them into your mouth right away! I know from experience.
- After you’ve let them cool, enjoy!